ELL Program Values
Plattsmouth community schools believes that all ELL students:
- Are respected in regard to their cultures, languages, physical appearances, manners of dress, families, and personal beliefs.
- Can learn.
- Deserve the opportunity to participate fully in school activities.
- Receive instruction that is comprehensible and appropriate for their level of English language proficiency.
Plattsmouth Community Schools Goals for ELL students
- Individualized ELL instruction which meets the aligned NE state standards and national TESOL standards
- Endorsed ELL certified staff at K-12 levels
- Professional development opportunities for all staff members
- Instruction which includes a wide variety of approaches and appropriate level materials
- Consistent and quality ELL instruction on a continual basis until the recipients are assessed to be proficient in their use of academic English language in the regular classroom
- Appropriate and regular assessment in order to properly place the students, measure their progress, make adjustments in their instructional plans, and determine when the students are proficient enough to exit the program
- Two years of monitored services which include input from the student, the students’ parents’, the ELL staff, the regular classroom teacher, the building principal, and any Special Needs staff for which the child is eligible. This process will enable staff to determine an appropriate amount of instruction time, any need for Special Needs services, an social problems, or academic regression problems
- Support and advocacy for students experiencing culture shock, perceived bias, or consideration for initiating the IDEA process
- Schools with LEP or LM families support making contact, visits, and calls, counseling with families, translating communication between schools and families and by involving the primary care givers in the design and implementation of their child’s ELL instruction
- Support to the ELL student in the use of their native language and culture
ELL Teacher Responsibilities
- Review all Home Language Surveys and identify students in need of assessment.
- Provide the appropriate assessment in a timely manner.
- Develop Individual Learning Plans for each ELL student based on assessment data from relevant sources.
- Communicate language goals and plans with parents and teachers in a timely manner and consistently throughout the year.
- Collaborate with teachers to develop an instructional schedule that meets district requirements and student needs.
- Implement the schedule with fidelity.
- Plan and implement instructionally sound and relevant lessons that address learning goals and any other student needs.
- Support classroom teachers as they work to address student needs.
- Administer appropriate assessments (formative, ELDA, LAS) and monitor student progress.
- Communicate student achievement data to teachers and parents.
- Implement the district approved ELL model and program with fidelity.